Saturday 1 November 2008

Broughton-in-Furness, England


The postmark is illegible.  The date 3 September 2005.

Broughton-in-Furness, Cumbria
Quiet old market town, population under 500, built mainly 18th and 19th C. An excellent base for exploring the beautiful Duddon Valley, 'Woodlands' and nearby Fells.
Pictures are the Old Town Hall, now a Tourist Information Centre and the old stocks (used for holding delinquents/vagabonds by the ankles, often to be pelted by locals with soft fruit and eggs).
PP587

The history of the town dates back to the 11th century with the oldest building thought to be the church.  Every year on 1 August, the town's charter to hold a fair, first granted in Elizabethan times, is read out in the town square.Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

  1. Hi just dropping by to say hello and thanks for dropping on my site.

    I'd love to walk the streets of England with my camera. The archetecture facsinates me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your postcards are one of favorite blogging stops. So I have given you The Butterfly Award for being a cool blog.

    It's over at London Thoughts if you get a chance to drop by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know which I hate more: stocks or the dunking stool. Nice picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm slowly getting around to answering comments, very slowly.
    @EGM, thanks for stopping by.
    @Descartes, thank you so very much for thinking of me for the award. I'll be posting it within the next 24 hours, promise.
    @Max, both at once for you I should think.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...