Thursday 6 November 2008

Honfleur, France


Never posted, bought by me in 2005 on a bitterly cold and windy day.

143-1 En Normandie
Honfleur (Calvados)
Le Vieux Port
Quai Sainte-Catherine (XVIIe s.)

Honfleur, dating back to the 11th century, lies on the north east coast of France on the southern bank of the Seine estuary.  It is best known for its very picturesque old fishing port at the heart of the town.  St Catherine's church, after which the quay is named, is the largest timber built church in France.  An expedition from Honfleur in 1608 led to the founding of Québec in Canada.

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful. I just love your postcards, not only are they beautiful but they also take me away for a little while, lol! Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting about the connection to Quebec. I had thought they were all fugitives and fur traders that founded that beautiful part of Canada. Now I know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, so agree with Jodi. It is fun to come by once in while and be taken to different parts of the world by your amazing collection of postcards.

    I truly hope that you never run out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! So picturesque..and I love the reflection in the water :) Have a great weekend Sheila!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is a picturesque place, so I'm glad you enjoy it. I had no idea about the connection with Quebec until the other day.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...