Wednesday 21 January 2009

Schiehallion


Postmarked Pitlochry, Perthshire, and dated 26 July 1976.

Schiehallion from River Tummel
l6/5149/Perthshire

Schiehallion, with its conical shape, is one of the most recognisable peaks in Scotland. In 1774 it was used by the Astronomer Royal in an experiment to calculate the mass of the earth. Its height is 3554 ft (1083 metres) and very popular with walkers. It is a munro, a Scottish mountain with a height over 3,000 feet (914.4 metres), named after Sir Hugh Munro who first catalogued them.

The River Tummel brings back memories to me of the song "Road to the Isles" which I must have learnt when I was about 8 years old. That was a long time ago and yet I still remember....
Sure by Tummel and Loch Rannoch and Lochaber I will go
By heather tracks wi' heaven in their wiles.
If it's thinkin' in your inner heart the braggart's in my step,
You've never smelled the tangle o' the Isles.
Oh the far Coolins are puttin' love on me
As step I wi' my cromack to the Isles.
This particular card is rather bedraggled, and looks as though it had been carried about in my father's pocket for most of its life. Knowing my father, it very probably was.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...