Saturday 7 March 2009

Helsinki snow church


Postmarked Helsinki, dated 25 February 2009.

Helsinki Finland
Snowchurch
Half size of the original Ulrika Eleonora Chruch
Photo Pentti Harala

This church is in Helsinki, Finland. It is about 40 feet in height and is built in the same place every year, in front of the Lutheran Cathedral which can be seen behind it.  It is a 1/3 scale replica of the church named after Queen Ulrika Eleonora, which was finished in 1727 and demolished in 1827.

The snow church has wooden doors, windows and seats. Inside it is quite warm, probably because of its small size and the fact that it is usually full. It is possible to be married here and it has become a very popular place for weddings. Services are held every Sunday while the church is still there. There isn't much room for a congregation which is probably just as well, because when it is too warm the church starts to melt. 

6 comments:

  1. I'm sure that the church acts much like an igloo. I'll bet visitors are glad of the wooden seats, though....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to see you recivied the postcard i sent you thru postcrossing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mei Teng, it really is beautiful, yes. And I'd never heard of it before I received the card.

    @Chris, yes an outsize igloo, I'm sure. While I'd no doubt be glad of the wooden seats, I think I'd be taking along blankets and cushions before going to any services though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @FickleMinded! You must have been commenting at the same time as I was. Thank you so much for your card from Canada! It arrived this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your humour is wonderfuly subtle and striking! A melting church :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...