Saturday 5 September 2009

Canterbury Cathedral - three views


Reprint from a 19th century engraving of Canterbury Cathedral.  Unused and undated.


Unused card, and undated.  As far as I can tell, deckle edged cards date from about the 1970s, but this is a small format card, 3.5 x 5.5 inches (9 x 14 cm) which were replaced by larger sizes in the 1970s.  So it's probably early 70s but it's hard to tell. 
Canterbury Cathedral from S.W. 4089A


A modern card, bought by myself in 2009.

I notice that in every case the view is from the same angle - obviously the cathedral's best side!  It is listed as one of UNESCO's World Heritage Sites.

3 comments:

  1. I visited Canterbury Cathedral about 6 years ago and really can't recall much. I ought to visit again because all I remember is waiting for friends by an archway :-(

    Recently I got presented with the Zombie Chicken Award. I hope you don't mind if I nominate you? http://tr.im/y2fB :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can remember is queuing by an archway! Maybe the same one.

    So, the Zombie Chicken Award? Many thanks, I think. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much history related to this church and the city of Canterbury, Sheila. Thanks for sharing a beautiful postcard and for commenting at my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...