Monday 5 October 2009

Laurentian Library, Florence



This card has never been through the mail.  I bought it when I was on holiday in Florence in August 1993 and I know I can be sure of the date because we were there just a few short months after the Uffizi Gallery was bombed.

The library was built in the 16th century by the Medici family, to demonstrate they were members of scholarly and intelligent society and that they were no longer merely merchants.  The picture on the card is the Reading Room, with seats down either side.  Books were kept on the desks for each seat rather than on shelves.  There are 4,500 early books in the collection, and 11,000 manuscripts.

I had to buy the card for my father because I just knew he'd love to see the library.  He is responsible for my own love of books and libraries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...