Thursday 3 December 2009

Musée d'Orsay on strike



I've changed my scheduled post for today to show this unused postcard of the Musée d'Orsay in Paris.  Why?  Because employees in French museums and national monuments are on strike.   The Pompidou Centre, the Palace of Versailles and the Musée d'Orsay are all affected, and not only places in Paris, so too are Carcassonne and the city walls at Aigues-Mortes, as well as many other famous monuments.

The Musée d'Orsay has always been a particular favourite of mine.  It is a converted railway station, but such a splendid one.  It was there that I realised that great art wasn't something I ought to enjoy, but something that really did bring something special into my world.

So very many of the places that are mentioned as being on strike are ones I have visited and loved.  It seems such a shame that there will be people who will miss that opportunity because of being in France at the wrong time.  However, I will say that all is not lost - there are many other places well worth visiting in Paris and beyond, and many of them may even be every bit as enjoyable.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...