Saturday 2 January 2010

Sts Peter & Paul Cathedral, St Petersburg



I am starting to appreciate more and more, the cards that are in some way unusual and yet still tell something about the country.  They aren't at all easy to find, I know, because I've often spent days scouring shops for out of the ordinary cards.  They don't seem to exist in this part of the world.

The card pictured here is a beautiful view of the angel on the spire of St Peter and Paul Cathedral in St Petersburg, superimposed on a view of the cathedral in the background.  It was sent to me on 31 October 2009 and postmarked St Petersburg.

The cathedral is most unlike the usual Russian Orthodox architecture and was built inside the fortress.  It was the first cathedral built from stone in St Petersburg, although it was first constructed in wood.  The angle on the spire is an important symbol for St Petersburg.

1 comment:

  1. Many years ago, I spent a wonderful day, as a stop on a Baltic cruise, in St. Petersburg, Russia. I would have loved spending more time there. It was such a beautiful city and I could see how fabulous it must have been in the days of the czars.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...