Thursday 6 May 2010

It must be France


Found in a collection of other cards of varying age, this one which has the bottom left corner snipped off.  The card has never been written, no postmark, but I'm going to hazard a guess that it dates from World War I and that the corner has been snipped off to avoid censorship - or maybe even the result of censorship.

I've tried to locate the "Jardin Public - Le Cascade" but so far no success.  Both Cambrai and St Omer have had postcards showing their public gardens with waterfalls but none exactly the same that I can find.  There was a large-scale tank battle at Cambrai in 1917, but St Omer was the base for Royal Flying Corps for the fours years of the war, so it seems more likely.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. That's intriguing - why a certain portion was snipped! What was written and why was it cut off just like that? I feel like I want to wear a Sherlock Holmes hat :D
    Happy mother's day, Sheila!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...