Thursday 1 July 2010

The Chinese Palace in Oranienbaum


Another feast for the eyes, of a sumptuous interior.  I love looking at this style, the lavish and ornate decoration and rich colours, but I'd never want to live with it.  While it's a feast for the eyes, I couldn't imagine it being restful or relaxing, so I'm rather surprised to see the full size billiard table (English-made, I believe) sitting in the midst of all this splendour.  Admittedly it's a finely carved billiard table to suit the surroundings, but it still seems out of place.

The Chinese Palace is in a group of palaces and parks called Oranienbaum, not far from St Petersburg.  It is included on the UNESCO WHS list along with the city centre of St Petersburg.

1 comment:

  1. It is a little too much for the senses, hence, I think the residents wanted some amusements with the billiards table!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...