Saturday 16 October 2010

Pyramid of Djoser


This is the Pyramid of Djoser, one of the oldest pyramids in Egypt, in the Saqqara region just outside Cairo.  It's easy to see the much more primitive step design compared with the later pyramids with their smooth sides.  At the time the design was revolutionary for several reasons: because previous tombs had been flat topped, added to that, this was by far the largest building of those days, and it was made of stone rather than mud-brick.
Enhanced by Zemanta

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely postcard :> The pyramids have a kind of ancient mystic quality about them.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting Sheila. I have always wanted to stand at the base of one those magnificent structures to get a better perspective of the size. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of my days in Cairo. What a lovely picture! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply beautiful, especially the camel holding it's head high.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am spanish and my english it isn´t more better , but your blog is more beatiful because the posts are fantastics . From Spain congratulation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great postcard. I've always wanted to see the pyramids in person and explore the culture and traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a contrast to the week of water! Egypt is definitely on my bucket list. I did not realise there were different styles of pyramids but would just love to see that one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking at this postcard makes me want to visit Egypt! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How do you pronounce "Dj" something? I couldn't get it out. :) Very nice card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting, especially the shape of the pyramid. Makes me want to go to Egypt

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...