Friday 22 October 2010

Shepherds on stilts

.
When I found this card, I couldn't imagine what it was all about. There is no explanation on the back except to say that it's a folklore group from Les Landes.

The Landes is a department of France which stretches from Bordeaux on the west coast, right down to the Basque country, the Pyrénées-Atlantiques.  It's a large flat expanse of land which used to be wet and marshy.  The shepherds of the 18th century used to herd their sheep wearing stilts, to allow a better view, to move more quickly,  and to protect their feet from the damp.

In time the sheep farming gave way to forestry and so stilt walking shepherds disappeared along with the sheep.  But at that time the shepherds started joining in the village dances, still wearing the stilts.  In 1889 the first stilt-walking dance group was formed.  There are now over 20 such groups, and one of them can be seen on the postcard.

The card, I think, probably dates from the 70s.  The telephone number given on the back for the dance group is 67 or 68 Soustons!   The telephone numbering system in France was changed to an 8-digit system in 1985 so it was before that, and I suspect, well before that.

This is a post for Postcard Friday, which is hosted by Beth Niquette at The Best Hearts are Crunchy.

21 comments:

  1. I can barely walk so I can't imagine dancing on stilts. Amazing, Sheila.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see these dancers perform. I love there coats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @tiffany lee, thanks!

    @Buciko, they are. :)

    @RNSANE, I can't imagine even getting on them!

    @Coffeedoff, I would love to see them too. Completely different from anything I've ever seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, fun card! I learned something new today. Amazing ... herding on stilts and now, dancing on them! For me .. no way, but I'd love to watch! Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is WONDERFUL! Like everyone else, I'd love to see them dancing. One thing which intrigues me though is that you'd have thought that stilts would just sink in marshy ground. It looks as though some of the stilts, at least, have some kind of feet attached, which would probably help but which must make it even harder to walk, let alone dance, on them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hee! I have to be honest, I think this is one of the strangest postcards I have ever seen! I'd love to see a modernised, updated version!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Snap, I couldn't contemplate it myself! too far up :)

    @Serena, I read somewhere, and I can't now find it, that they don't sink because the ground is quite sandy and the sand compacts to hold the stilts firm. That's from memory so I may not be accurate with the explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a fun card--I love how you do the research on the postcards you put up. I enjoy every word--and of course, the postcards!

    Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Emm, I have to agree, it's pretty odd. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow..i learn so much from your blog.. thanks. and very beautiful postcard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an unusual card, sheila! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dancing on stilts - good grief I'd like to see that. Anyhow the old traditions are continuing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful! I had no idea stilts were used for sheep herding! Thanks for the informational post and postcard!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the apprentice shepherds at the front on smaller stilts. I'd plump for those too, the others look all too far to fall.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the postcards that you post here on your blog! Please visit bethanyscreativecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with emm on this one. My first impression was, "The Amish on stilts"? That's new. lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. How interesting! I wonder why only the men have stilts.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...