Sunday 12 June 2011

Windows and stamps from Ukraine


A card sent from Ukraine.  I presume the windows are from there too.


I didn't think I would be able to find anything to fit the Sunday Stamp theme this week until I suddenly noticed that these Ukrainian stamps told a little story.  They are Europa stamps and the 2008 Europa theme was "Writing letters".  These two show letter writing through the ages.  The man on the left, presumably a monk, is using a quill with his candle and some sealing wax, while the modern woman on the right is using a computer to send an email letter.  If you click on the stamps to see a larger view, you will see that she types about as proficiently as I do, and that the pattern of paper does run through from one stamp to the next.

This is a post for Sunday Stamps, now hosted by Violet Sky at "See it on a Postcard!"

9 comments:

  1. I like the integrated artistic style of the stamps, the old connecting the new. The woman's fingers would be so useful to reach the numbers at the top of a keyboard.
    Pretty windows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful postcard and fantastic pair of stamps! Great juxtaposition of the old and modern letter-writing styles. Constant computer use has affected my handwriting so much it now looks awful! I still love writing with pen and paper though although I get complaints about my handwriting. hahaha.

    Postcards Crossing

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Joy, the woman's hands do look a little odd. So does her dress which could almost be medieval.

    @Sreisaat, my handwriting has suffered badly too. I can't think how I managed to write exam papers, non-stop writing for 2-3 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the art on those stamps and I think "letter writing" is an ideal subject for stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These stamps fit the theme wonderfully. Lately I've been getting the wheat stamps from the Ukraine.
    Thank you for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this one and the stamps too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like postcards of windows or doors and this one is lovely, and the stamps too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was the length of the fingers on the monk and the lady that caught my attention on the stamps.The windows on the card are outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These windows are amazing! I think I may start collecting windows now. Pictures of windows, I mean.

    I also have to start practicing my handwriting again. It has gone from quite poor to unreadable. I used to play with inks and pens and calligraphy. So long ago.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...