Monday 8 August 2011

Taking tea, Malaysian style


Teh tarik, or pulled tea, is enjoyed by everyone in Malaysia.  Literally translated it means "pulled tea" and consists of strong, hot, black tea mixed with sweet condensed milk, as simple as that, but then it's poured repeatedly from one metal mug into another at increasing distances.  The pouring or "pulling" serves to mix the ingredients thoroughly and enhance the flavour, cool the tea to an acceptable level, and to produce a foaming, frothy top, rather like a cappuccino.

Of course it has developed into something of an art form and you can find demonstrations and competitions everywhere.

6 comments:

  1. Oh yum. That sounds just yummy and right up my street. I wonder if they serve that in Singapore? I think I'd be more inclined to visit Singapore again (and then Taiwan) before Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm seriously thinking of trying to make it at home, it sounds so good. I imagine I'd need to cover all surfaces before I started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't they just blow into it with a straw? Or does that take the fun out of it? Well, you know how I feel about tea - the longer you play with it, the less chance you'll end up actually having to drink it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, Max, they couldn't. You know all about free fall now, don't you? It's the free fall that does it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blowing it with a straw is the equivalent of jumping up in a falling lift, just before it hits the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it sounds like great fun and I'll bet it tastes delicious. I've been some place where they poured the tea from quite a height into your cup but I can't remember the country.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...