Tuesday 25 October 2011

Football fans (soccer)


According to the details on the reverse of the card, this photo shows "Italia - Olanda" and was taken in 2000.  A little detective work was needed to discover that in that year Italy and the Netherlands played against each other in a UEFA European Football Championship semi final.  The shop, a macelleria, is a butcher.

The spectators will have been happy because Italy beat the Netherlands.  They will have been less happy four days later when France beat Italy in the finals.

I would never have thought I could take an interest in these things but I seem to have absorbed something after years of indoctrination by my personal adviser who is the Scottish equivalent of these spectators.
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. That's a really great card :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card! Nice detective work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful postcard! I love that it is in monochrome as it makes it timeless. I also have a personal sporting advisor, of the South African variety, and was surprised to find out just how much I have absorbed over the years!

    Wooo, Sheila, you're five away from 1000 followers! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Stuffellaneous, thank you! :)

    @Emm, I really love it. In a way it could be anywhere.

    I hadn't noticed the followers numbers. They seem to have been static for quite a while, that is when they show at all. The whole section is often missing, it seems to me. Maybe there should be a give-away for guessing the day 1000 happens.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...