Monday 28 November 2011

Eugene Gapchinskaya



Eugene Gapchinskaya is the artist who produced this lovely card.  The writing, I'm told, is Ukrainian for "King pink gulls".  I worried about this for a long time because it seemed to make no sense.  It probably doesn't make any sense - I've discovered that this artist has also illustrated a version of Alice in Wonderland.  He (or maybe she) clearly doesn't worry too much about making sense.

He (or maybe she) appears to be very well known.  Ukraine has published a series of stamps (scroll down) with these illustrations and there is a Facebook page with many more.  It was looking through the Facebook page that made me thing that he may be a she.
Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful card! Love the art work. I've never heard of that artist, but now I'll be on the lookout for his stuff. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think, perhaps, some of the nicest things in life make no sense at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Petrhaps some deep allegorical meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Ukrainian girl told me Eugene is a "she" :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...