Wednesday 4 January 2012

Lighthouses of North Carolina



From Cape Hatteras and marked with the stamp from the Cape Hatteras National Seashore and the light station itself comes this beautiful postcard showing the "lights of the state of North Carolina reachable by car or ferry".

The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse is the tallest lighthouse in the USA and one of the tallest brick built lighthouses in the world.  It was built in 1870 in place of an earlier one.  Interestingly, in 1999 it had to be moved 2900 feet inland because of coastal erosion.

Thank you so much, Maureen!
Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. When I see those lighthouses all lined up like that, I can't help but think of bowling pins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife and I love to see them anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like pictures of lighthouses. I always picture them in stormy nights with the waves crashing. I think not so much needed anymore like in earlier years, but I hope as many as possible can be preserved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love lighthouses....on our northern CA coast, near Pescadero, there's a hostel that I finally stayed at, next to a lighthouse that I've passed by much of my 35 years of living in the San Francisco area...it's a glorious spot and I must go back again....surprisingly, most of the guest were seniors, not back packing youth.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...