Monday 5 March 2012

Speicherstadt


Speicherstadt  means the warehouse district of Hamburg in northern Germany.  It was built towards the end of the 19th century and since 1991 has been a protected area.  It is the largest area in the world built on timber-pile foundations.

Each warehouse has a canal on one side and a road on the other.  Some of the buildings are still used as warehouses and others have been converted into museums and tourist attractions.

This postcard shows the view from the Poggenmühlenbrücke (bridge) to the confluence of two canals, Hollandfleet on the left with Wandrahmsfleet on the right.
Enhanced by Zemanta

6 comments:

  1. Germany is the place I have wanted to visit the most of all the European countries. That is a great card.,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to Hamburg before, but never saw this. It was a quick trip through, so maybe I need to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was still the '80s when I made a day trip to Hamburg, and this area didn't get included in the tour, it was probably still waiting to be developed. Amazing how the warehouses survive on timber.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This card brings back fond memories. I lived and worked in Hamburg and used to visit a client based in the Speicherstadt. It was a coffee trading company.

    Glen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have done almost no travel in Germany, sad to say...except as a child when we were stationed in Frankfurt and, later, in Austria. Hamburg looks very nice and I could, easily, see myself with an apartment on one of these canals. It's nice that there is a street on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, can you imagine living or working there? It must be lovely in summer and bitterly cold in winter.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...