Friday 1 June 2012

P-p-p-pick up a Penguin


The World Wide Fund for Nature, WWF, produced this postcard to support conservation.  It looks as though it may be a child's drawing but I don't know.  There is no information on the reverse.  It came to me from Finland.

The P-p-p-pick up a Penguin title probably gives away my age.  It refers to an old (60s? 70s?) ad for chocolate biscuits called Penguins and has now been absorbed into general use in the UK.  The P-p-p prefix appears frequently in other ways.  The most recent example was probably the headline, "Keepers p-p-p-pick up a penguin as the birds move to new home", which was written when Edinburgh Zoo moved its penguins to a new enclosure.

This is a post for Postcard Friendship Friday hosted on Beth Niquette's blog The Best Hearts are Crunchy.

4 comments:

  1. ha! i remember that slogan so well from my childhood in the UK! happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one. With a stutter, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cause and interesting card

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice postcard, I'm not familiar with the slogan though, it's fun for sure and obviously worked since you remembered it.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...