Friday 15 June 2012

A package from Taiwan


I was really surprised the other day when this lovely card arrived.  It was stamped and the stamp was cancelled, but it had been tied with the fine twine you see attaching two views of Taiwan on photo film, then put inside a cellophane envelope.  It looked as though I had been sent a special gift!  I think, though I'm not certain because the card's text is all in Chinese script, that it must show the Alishan Forest Railway and the National Park.

You've probably seen that the card has "Ilha Formosa" as it's title.  That is Portuguese for "Beautiful Island".  The name dates from 1544 when Portuguese sailors first saw the island.  The official name is not even Taiwan, it's Republic of China (ROC).  The country we tend to call China is the People's Republic of China (PRC).  Confusing.

This is a post for Postcard Friendship Friday hosted on Beth Niquette's blog The Best Hearts are Crunchy.

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful surprise - such a lovely card! I like that square looking train - It's definitely different!

    Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an unusual surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, that's a pretty funky card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is interesting on so many levels! I never knew that about Taiwan and China's real names!! I love that the card came with a little gift of film, in a clear envelope. That is so... cute. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...