Sunday 10 June 2012

Yuri Gagarin in Moldova



The Yuri Gagarin stamp is the nearest I could find that relates to astronomy at the moment.  The stamp was issued to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Gagarin's journey into space but there is - they say - another link with Moldova.  It is said that he visited the wine cellars at Cricova, north of Chişinău, and wasn't seen again for 2 days.  I don't know whether that was before or after his flight into space. :)

This is a post for Sunday Stamps, run by Viridian. Click on the button to visit her blog and all the other participants.

Enhanced by Zemanta

11 comments:

  1. What a great Space stamp, and one I've not seen before. Thank you for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is an interesting link...to the wine cellar!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh. Their claim to fame! I've wanted to visit Moldova ever since one of their government officials corrected my boss's pronunciation of the country name. I wish I could recreate it in text. He said something that rhymed with Dover and accentuated the second "o" and she replied with clipped consonants in her throaty Moldovan accent. A bit like "Morldorva".

    ReplyDelete
  4. A two days party either before or after his trip to space is not a bad idea. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does look the place to take a celebratory drink, or two. Great story, and stamp, about Gagarin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He earned his drink. Great stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely stamps and a very nice story and link to the postcard :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a coincidence! I received a card from Moldova this week. The stamp with Yuri Gagarin is a great contribution for the astronomy theme. Agree with Bob -- he earned a drink.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Yuri was one in a million.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...