Sunday 22 July 2012

Commonwealth Games 1986






These PHQ cards and stamps were issued in July 26 years ago.  I thought, until I scanned the last card, that they were all celebrating the Commonwealth Games but the last is the World Hockey Cup.  Our "Welcome to the Olympics" stamps have not been issued yet (27 July) but we have, of course, had a large number of others leading up to the event.

The 1986 Commonwealth Games were held in Edinburgh, Scotland.  The four nations making up the United Kingdom take part individually so I'm surprised to see what I would take to be a UK vest on the 22p stamp.

This is a post for Sunday Stamps, now hosted by Violet Sky at "See it on a Postcard!"

11 comments:

  1. I can't wait for the Olympic stamps to be released and hope to find some on a postcard soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a friend who's friend in London sent him an Olympics stamp sheet. Was I ever jealous. I like the design of the above stamps, just showing, what in photography is called close ups.


    Postcards Crossing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bold colours and images used in this set of stamps. I really really like them (I think I have stamp-envy!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember those at all (so I have to look at the year and work out what I was doing that is probably the reason why :) )
    I haven't looked to see what this year's olympic stamps will be like, I must say the ones with logo on don't inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its interesting how the hockey one seems to be part of the set, I don't remember them, although I do remember the games in Edinburgh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the detail in those very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed all these as I wasn't in the country. I would definitely have bought the hockey stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the fact they didn't try to cram too much into these stamps and just concentrated on the one detail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I read the year I thought - ah, I was in grad school then, which doesn't seem that long ago. And then you said 26 years. Ack! really nice stamps! thank you for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like VioletSky, I like the detailed perspective of these stamps - and the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. the stamps details are clearly in print,nice!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...