Friday 25 January 2013

Buachaille Etive Mor


Some years ago I bought a book of postcards showing scenes in Scotland because I was bored with the local ones available and my excuses were that my husband was Scottish, and secondly I lived in Scotland for 4 years so I can pass as pseudo-Scottish.  I still have a few left and this is one of them.

The card shows Buachaille Etive Mor, (pronounced very roughly booackulla etiv more) which means the big herdsman of Etive.  There is also a small herdsman of Etive, Buachaille Etive Beag.  Some of the scenes from the recent James Bond film, Skyfall, were shot near Buchaille Etive Mor.  It was also used as a location in Braveheart and Highlander.

I had to choose a Scottish card for today because it is Burns' Night, when people celebrate the life of Robert Burns the famous Scottish poet.  And the connection with Buachaille Etive Mor?  There are several burns on Buachaille Etive Mor.  A burn in Scotland is a stream or river.

This is a post for Postcard Friendship Friday hosted on Beth Niquette's blog, The Best Hearts are Crunchy.

4 comments:

  1. i do wish these Scottish places had easier to pronounce names. Whenever I visit, I am very hesitant or I get an exasperated correction from the cousins. and a hearty laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robbie Burns gives an excuse to visit Scotland each year -- Yippee! It looks so desolate. Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No haggis for me thanks you Sheila - though I do like some of his poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, the scenery in Skyfall was just lovely! Lovely postcard!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...