Sunday 24 November 2013

Carollers and waits



I couldn't find anything showing people singing apart from these two PHQ stamp cards, and that only after hearing someone bemoaning the fact that they had just heard their first Christmas songs.

The top shows 16th century carollers singing the Boar's Head carol, a Yuletide tradition that may date from much earlier.  It continues on today in the form of the Christmas ham.

The second shows a band of musicians known as a waits or waites. They were traditionally a band of pipers employed by a town or city.

There was originally a set of four in the series, "Joyous Carols of Christmas", designed by artist Faith Jaques.  Her original art features on the First Day covers.



This is a post for Sunday Stamps, now hosted by Violet Sky at "See it on a Postcard!"

10 comments:

  1. I liked this set of stamps which are unusual for being issued in an even year of non religious themes but seem to combine both traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the Christmas songs have started. What a wonderful season, and what beautiful stamps you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know I posted another from this set which was one of the Royal Mail's better sets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a nice set indeed. Yes, time to get into the spirit isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS. thank you for participating this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like that set of PHQ cards. Wish I had those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice, colourful stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not terribly happy about the Christmas songs starting already (we have one station that is now almost all Xmas music all the time!) but it makes me seem so Grinch-y to admit.

    I like this take on singers on stamps - that first one is quite fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! How many different styles this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember these, but I didn't know the stories behind them.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...