Wednesday 10 December 2008

The Wallace Monument, Scotland


Postmarked Stirling, dated 6 October 1983.

Wallace Memorial, Stirling
The 220 ft. tower stands on top of Abeey Criag and looks out over the scene of the Battle of Stirling Bridge, where, in 1297, Sir William Wallace trapped and routed an English army.

The building of the monument was started in 1869 and took eight years to complete.  You can climb to the top, up 246 steps to see some of magnificent views.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. Sheila that is so neat. If I climbed those 246 steps, I would be in bed for 3 months, lol! That is so pretty. Thank you. Thinking of you as always.

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gorgeous - I wish we could climb those stairs!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...