Thursday 20 August 2009

Petäjävesi church, Finland


Sent to me in an envelope in May 2009.

The old church in Petäjävesi was built of logs between 1763 and 1764, designed by Leppanen whose grandson added a bell-tower in 1821.  The style is very typically Scandinavian but this one is considered to be a particularly fine example.

The pulpit is decorated with angels, four standing evangelists, and is held up by St Christopher, who is apparently the likeness of Tammelin who painted the figures.

A new church was built in 1879 but the old church continues to be used for worship on summer Sundays, and is very popular for weddings.

2 comments:

  1. I like this old church. In fact, the Finland cards are becoming my favorites in general. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree, Max, they are lovely. Mind you, I thought the Paris one earlier this week would have appealed to you.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...