Saturday 28 November 2009

Mogao Caves, Dunhuang, China



This beautiful card with the equally beautiful stamps was sent to me on 18 October 2009.  If you can read the Chinese script, you can tell me where it was posted. :)


Cave No. 465  Family Dependents  Yuan Dynasty (1271 - 1368) Dunhuang, China

The Mogao Caves are a system of Buddhist cave temples created from the 4th century at a strategic point on the Silk Road.  More and more were built and they remained an important centre of culture until the 14th century.  This card shows a mural in one of the later caves of the Yuan Dynasty.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Lovely card and the stamps as well, isn't that interesting, the script I mean. I've always loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful image!
    I like also reading the bits of history.... thanks

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...