Thursday 9 June 2011

Ayutthaya


Even enlarged it's a little difficult to read the small writing of the title which says"Grand Parade of Royal Barges at Ayuthia in 1685".  The card is a limited edition reprint issued in 2005 for the 28th World Scout Jamboree.

Ayutthaya, the modern spelling, is a city in Thailand which at one time was one of the largest in the world.  In 1767 it was destroyed by the Burmese army but the ruins are now the Ayutthaya historical park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  the new city was rebuilt a short distance to the east.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Until I read about it I never would have thought about Thailand so I learned something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now there's something I never new about Thailand, although my area is the Classics. I almost imagined the Emperor of China riding in those ships, so I was surprised at that as well. Either way, a very regal festival.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...