Tuesday 26 July 2011

Sedona


Cathedral Rock, near Red Rock Crossing, towers almost a thousand feet above the surrounding terrain,this prominent land form crests at an elevation of 4,964 feet above sea level.

I'm particularly interested in cathedrals, and this one is no exception, even if I can't go inside for a look around.  Although my scanner really hasn't done it any justice, I think you can still appreciate the beautiful colours.  They glow in the sunset.

Sedona or Red Rock Country, is named after the wife of the area's first postmaster, Sedona Arabella Miller Schnebly, so it seems very appropriate that I have a postcard from there.  This one, Cathedral Rock, is probably the most photographed of all the stunning rock formations in the area and was formed from sand dunes beside the ancient Pedregosa Sea.  Apparently the ripple marks left by the sea can still be seen in some places.
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. Though I'm not even that far away, I haven't been to Sedona. I have it on my list. I did go to Zion National Park once for a few days with forensic nurse girlfriends - in Utah - and it has some spectacular red rock formations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think we can match this in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a geologist and live here in Arizona. I have been to Sedona many times, and yes, you can see the ripple marks in the rocks in many places.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...