Monday 13 February 2012

A milk cow and her boy


I've loved this painting by Akseli Gallen-Kallela (1865-1931) from Finland for the longest time, and now I have my own copy thanks to this postcard.  It was painted in 1885 before Gallen-Kallela moved to Nairobi, Kenya with his parents.  He produced a large number of paintings there but returned to Finland for a few years before spending some time in Taos, New Mexico.

The painting brings back many memories for me  Those days are long gone but I am left with the memories all the same.
Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. That is really lovely. I love how the ownership is transferred to the cow and it is her boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ownership issue struck me as special as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool you know the history of the painting on your postcard. That makes it so unique. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard "a boy and his dog" but, never, a cow and her boy! It is, indeed, a lovely painting.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...