Sunday 24 February 2013

A space assortment




The only real space stamps or stamp cards I have are the space science set that Bob Scotney has already shown us so I'm resorting to odds and ends of other sets.  The top card is one of a set issued in 1987 to mark the 300th anniversary of the publication of Newton's Principia Mathematica.

The second shows Jodrell Bank, an observatory which is part of the Astrophysics department in the University of Manchester.  It was issued in 2011 as part of a series, UK A-Z.  [When the series got to W, it was marked by the White Cliffs of Dover, very near where I live.  I was allowed buy two, TWO!  They were is short supply, they said.]


The final stamp card looks so dated, doesn't it?  It was issued in 1982 as part of a series on information technology.  Along with acknowledging the part played by IT in space science, it shows us Prestel, the UK's short lived videotex system, and bar code readers, all three labelled "Modern Technological Aids".

And one final from Ukraine, celebrating the 50th anniversary of Gagarin's flight.


I have two other Gagarin stamps, one from Moldova and one from Russia.

This is a post for Sunday Stamps, now hosted by Violet Sky at "See it on a Postcard!"

10 comments:

  1. I am a fan of your stamp postings always have been and I also am of Bob's and the two of you have brought back my old childhood memories of being a child who never got enough of tracking down stamps. Not that I ever collected any, but to see them and often times become lost in the very artwork of them, like you have posted here, stamps are so marvelous, and so sad that they are becoming so rare today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I beat you to it Sheila. It was pure chance that I saw the space science stamps. Glad you put up the first two of your post as I hadn't seen those before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed the Isaac Newton one, I think Jodrell Bank is on a set from the 1960s too. I was thinking about which GB stamps were suitable for a space theme and found it hard to think of any, I totally missed the ones that were out not so long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great Issac Newton stamp. What a genius he was.
    Thank you for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the 1982 IT stamps. They are certainly of their time!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was about to go with some Gagarin stamps too today since I have them plenty, but decided to keep them for another occasion :)
    I love the stamp cards! Not just these ones..in general Royal Mail makes fantastic stamp-cards! I dont know why they always limit the prints and make it impossible to get your hand on some older issues =/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I supposed the 'modern technological aids' of the early 21stC will look pretty dated in a few years time, too!
    But it must bring a smile to those who remember.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Newton stamp, I missed that one. Isn't it strange Jodrell Bank is up to date as ever with stamps spanning the decades yet the technology stamp is a historic object.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stamps! I like the last one the best. My dad took me to Jodrell Bank a couple of years ago. I remember being slightly disappointed.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...