Monday 25 August 2008

Jungfrau


Never posted. Bought January 1992.

Schweiz/Suisse/Svizzera/Switzerland
Jungfrau 4158 m im Abendrot
(Berner Oberland)

The Jungfrau in a red evening sunset.

The Jungfrau is the highest peak in the Berner Oberland region of the Swiss Alps. It now has a railway running inside it, the Jungfraubahn cog railway, which goes to the highest railway station in Europe, the Junfraujoch.

This card was bought by my younger son when he went on a school ski trip. We were in Paris at the time. I had to get him to school by 6:00 am, return home, leave the car there and catch a bus to the Métro, go to the Gare du Nord and catch a train to Calais. Cross to Dover and catch a train to London, then another to Southampton in time to see my older son swim in some important competition that evening. I can't remember the reasoning behind the logistics, but it must have been the only way I could get there in time - it was pre- cheap flights, and pre-TGV. All I can remember is complete and utter exhaustion.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

  1. The name of this mountain is kind of ironic as Jungfrau means 'Virgin'.

    It's probably metaphorically named for a mountain that no one could climb at that time.

    Pretty sunset photo though =D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's certainly no virgin nowadays. There seems to be quite a lot going on up there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the first time in Switzerland this year, I must say that the mountains are very beautiful. This is something we miss in Belgium...

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...