Tuesday 6 January 2009

Khan Tengri, Kazakhstan


Postmarked Almaty (I think) and dated 21 December 2008 (arrived today).

Khan Tengri peak. Height is 7010 metres.

Kazakhstan was one of the 15 republics that gained independence in 1991 when the USSR collapsed.  It is the 9th largest country in the world.  Almaty is the largest city (the name is variously translated as rich with apples/father of apples) is surrounded by the Tien Shan mountains.  The highest peak is Khan Tengri and it is located right in the centre at the Kazakhstan/Kyrgyzstan/China borders.

I am delighted with this card.  It's really lovely though its beauty hasn't been conveyed well by the scan.  It is also my first from Kazakhstan (which I can now spell more or less without checking first).Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. I have two friends traveling Asia for 9 months right now and I love getting postcards from them with some obscure picture or unique sight, especially since I've never been to Asia myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel there is something very special about getting cards from exotic places you know you are unlikely ever to see.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...