Tuesday 13 January 2009

Lukung, Taiwan

The postmark is in Chinese script.  It is dated 25 November 2008.

According to the message on the card, this is a historical building in Lu-Kung, Taiwan, and there are many Chinese poems on it. Unfortunately I can find out next to nothing about it.  This isn't helped by the English version of the name having several different spellings: Lu-Kung, Lukung, Lugang, changing even within a single article sometimes.  I don't think it's the Longshan Temple, but I could be wrong.

Lukang itself was an important seaport during the 18 and 18 centuries. The depth of its harbour and the proximity of Fujian Province on the Chinese mainland made it an important trading port.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...