Friday 27 February 2009

Friendship Friday: Gatehouse of Fleet, Scotland


Postmarked Dumfries, dated 4 August 1978.

The name Gatehouse of Fleet comes from "gait", Old Norse for road.  The military road crossed the Fleet by way of a wooden bridge, so the locals set up a built inn to provide services to the passing traffic.  In time the gait-house became Gatehouse.  For a time Gatehouse had four cotton mills and was a significant port.  Nowadays it is a small and quiet village in Dumfries and Galloway, where the main point of interest is the clock tower standing on the junction of High Street and Ann Street.

This card was sent to my parents by my sister who was visiting a friend who lived in Gatehouse.  My sister has a knack of painting a picture in very few words:
Sat on beach all day in blazing sunshine.  Now sitting in tent in thunderstorms.  Children too excited to sleep.
The joys of camping in Britain!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

  1. I like that it is very green - I think that's how it should be! When my husband went on a cycling tour of Western Europe, he sent me postcards (but to my disappointment, he put them in envelopes) and told me travel stories, most of which were about places where he camped for the night. It must have been a great adventure for him, and for your sister too!

    Postcards Crossing

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful and interesting postcard! Happy PFF, Sheila!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sreisaat, I love green countryside too. I see you prefer your postcards stamped and written, as I do. I always feel that gives them life.

    MuseSwings, thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...