Tuesday 23 June 2009

Portimao, Portugal


Postmarked Alvor, dated 14 April 1981.

Portugal - Algarve - Portimão
Igreja Matriz
Cathédrale
Cathedral

Igreja Matriz translates as mother church.  I'm really not sure that it is the same as a cathedral, in spite of what it says on the card.  The church stands on a hill not far from the market place in Portimão.  It was originally built in the 15th century but, along with many other buildings, it was damaged in the earthquake of 1755.  It was rebuilt in the 19th century.  It has a particularly beautiful late Gothic doorway.

Portimão is the second largest city in the Algarve and a popular tourist destination, but when the card was written, it seems to have been a little different:
This is a busy little shopping town plus fishing village. The streets are full of traders selling beautiful lace and embroidered tablecloths.  We're having fun trying the different dishes- seafood is particularly good.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to visit Portugal - in particular to eat the local cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though exquisite, I would also have trouble thinking of this in terms of "cathedral" as we know the word.

    So very beautiful nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cathedral!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Evelyn, I have been, though not to Portimão, and I do remember exquisite seafood. It was a good few years ago, and I'm sure there was more to it than that, but I forget the rest.

    @Max, agreed then, for once. :)

    @Mei Teng, it is very beautiful, yes.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...