Monday 20 July 2009

Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall, Taiwan


The postmark I can't read, but it is dated 30 May 2009.
CKS Memorial Hall

I had to look up CKS, but of course it stands for Chiang Kai-shek, former President of the Republic of China.  The Memorial Hall is in Taipei.

It is built with two staircases leading up to it, each with 89 steps, 89 having been Chiang's age when he died.  The gateway seen in the foreground is the Gate of Great Centrality and Perfect Uprightness.  The buildings on either side are the National Theatre and National Concert Hall.

The Gate of Great Centrality and Perfect Uprightness, apart from being very beautiful to look at, has the most wonderful name I have heard in a long time.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

  1. Also of interest is the use of the name Formosa; I didn't think anybody used that name any more. Perhaps it's used in other English-speaking countries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Chris, that hadn't struck me. I haven't heard it used for years in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the name of the gateway too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris: Sometimes Formosa is used to refer to the island of Taiwan, as well as the surrounding smaller islands.

    My family is from Taiwan. I was raised in the U.S. though. I hope to one day visit my extended family there. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...