Wednesday 16 September 2009

Prague astronomical clock


After showing the card of the Wimborne Minster astronomical clock, in the post today was a card from the Czech Republic, showing the much more elaborate Prague version.  The postmark is illegible but the date seems to be 09.09.09 - sounds lucky!

Prague. The old town astronomical clock [1410].

This clock is called the Orloj.  The word intrigues me because it seems so like the French word for clock, horloge.  The clock itself is made up of three parts: the astronomical dial showing the positions of the sun and moon, the calendar dial showing the months, and the part that everyone goes to see when animated figures are set in motion on the hour. In yet another coincidence, you can see the crowds watching the clock over on Blogaire's Súil Eile.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to stop by and say hello Sheila. I hope all is well with you and your family.

    God bless,
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that is really beautiful! I would love to see that one day. After reading Milan Kundera's books, Prague was my number destination in my early 20s but then that position was toppled first by Italy and then New York. Strange that I will land up visiting them all in the reverse order!

    Btw, I briefly located your postcards and put them "somewhere safe" during the move. Will let you know when I find them again!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...