Thursday 18 November 2010

Isle of Skye


According to John of English Wilderness, who sent me this card, this doesn't look like Portree at all - it was grey and hidden in mists.  If you go over to his beautiful blog, you will see that a small matter of mist didn't stop him taking some fantastic pictures.

It's all in the name, maybe.  One of the possible derivations of Skye is from the Norse sagas which called it skuy (misty isle) skýey or skuyö (isle of cloud).  There is also a Gaelic name Eilean a' Cheò meaning Island of Mists.  So there it is, mist.  Of course there are other altogether different meanings given such as winged or horned but those are far less romantic.

I always associate Skye with "The Skye Boat Song" we learnt at school:
Speed, bonnie boat, like a bird on the wing,
Onward! the sailors cry;
Carry the lad that's born to be King
Over the sea to Skye.
It commemorates Bonnie Prince Charlie's escape in a boat after the Battle of Culloden, helped by Flora Macdonald.  There was no Skye Bridge in those days. :)
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. My good friends who own a 15th century farmhouse in Rye often vacation on the isle of Skye and the isle of man. They do invite me but, since my job loss almost two years ago, I haven't been able to visit them. The last time we were together was when they flew to Barcelona to meet me for a weekend which was so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a fantastic time despite the mist. I even managed to find a second-hand bookshop! Unfortunately I didn't get to climb one of the Munros due to the weather :-(

    The cottage we stayed in used to be the stables of Monkstadt house which Bonnie Prince Charlie and Flora MacDonald visited seeking help :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very peaceful place, looks perfect to escape the busy life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Postcards of Skye ALL have dark brooding rain filled clouds over them! This one is a miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice postcard! I can see the contrast with John's photos though! I really want to visit Skye now.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...