Saturday 26 March 2011

Ostfriesland or East Frisia


Maps are one of my favourites - I think I may have said that before.  There's so much detail, so many interesting things to see or find out.

I've been looking up facts about Ostfriesland and there are all sorts of fascinating bits and pieces of information.  These include that it was once part of the historic Frisia, along with Friesland in the Netherlands and Nordfriesland in Schleswig-Holstein; that the string of islands along the coast enclose an area which is a UNESCO heritage site; and most interestingly that the area is known for its tea drinking culture.  The tea, strong and black and sweetened with German rock sugar, is thought to cure all sorts of ailments.
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. I had no idea about the tea. That's very interesting. I've been to Nordfriesland, but not Ostfriesland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very interesting card for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, you British have competition in the tea drinking departmen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. I'm from that area. There one fact missing about the tea. You put a little bit cream in the tea and you don't stir it. And if you don't want anymore tea you have to put your spoon into the cup. I didn't know that and i was wondering why get my cup refiled again and again.
    And the language is it very own. And if you want to learn it is like to learn a new language. I do understand some words but don't speak it.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...