Thursday 7 July 2011

The world according to Air France


The wording at the bottom of the card says, in both French and English, "On the world's largest air network, the world's best new aircraft".  On the left is a Lockheed Super Constellation and on the right, a Vickers Viscount.   If these are the world's best new aircraft, I'd probably date the card to the 1950s, but that's only a guess.

I'm a little surprised that Air France was ever the world's largest air network.  According to the Air France Museum website, the network in 1946 was 160,000 km when it was claimed to be the longest in the world, having risen from 46,500 in 1938.  By 1952 it was 250,000 km long but whether it was still the longest, I don't know.  I haven't found equivalent figures for other airlines.

1 comment:

  1. I am also surprised by this fact about Air France's air network! I wonder if they still have the same honor?

    Thanks for your comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...