Friday 7 October 2011

North America

A curiosity, a map of North America, written in French, drawn by French cartographers, and sent to me from China.  I've scanned it with high resolution but even so it's hard to make out the smaller print.  Even so, I can see that Canada is called Nouvelle Bretagne, Alaska is Amerique Russe.

As far as I can find out, the original dates from 1852 and was drawn by Barbie du Bocage in Paris.  The date must be fairly accurate because the Mexican Cession lands are included but not the Gadsden Purchase.

This is a post for Postcard Friendship Friday hosted on Beth Niquette's blog The Best Hearts are Crunchy.


Enhanced by Zemanta

12 comments:

  1. i just love old maps...very curious to hear that this was sent from china! happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful map card! It must be a reprint, but I have a thing for maps, so it's a hit with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Debs, yes, odd that it came from China. On the back it says, "Treasure map pocket" obviously translated by the same people who wrote the instructions for my printer.

    @Mr Cachet, I have a thing about maps too! It's not even a terribly good reproduction but I still like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love maps and what a history for the card itself ...North America, written in French and sent from China! Too cool! Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love old maps. Groenland and Gadsden in the same post. Bravo! I'm sure they meant "Precious Map Pocket."

    ReplyDelete
  6. An old map, reminds me of my grade school world geography textbook...w/c I really really love to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Snap, a cosmopolitan card. :)

    @Max, I am sure to be an expert on Gadsden now. :)

    @Mary, thank you!

    @lostforwords, I love old atlases too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Sheila,

    Thanks for visiting last time for this meme. Well this is a really interesting document indeed.

    So you spends 2 years in Paris at what occasion ? Nice to meet you via the FPP

    Nice day

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Sheila,

    Thanks for visiting last time for this meme. Well this is a really interesting document indeed.

    So you spends 2 years in Paris at what occasion ? Nice to meet you via the FPP

    Nice day

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this postcard, it features one of my favourite postcard types - maps!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...