Saturday 25 February 2012

Eva's boots and shoes





Two Real Photo postcards which I found in a larger collection of vintage postcards.  One is signed, "Ever yours, Eva", but I think they are both pictures of Eva.  In the first she is wearing boots that button up the sides.  In the second, laced shoes fastened with big bows.

I started off trying to date the cards from the style of clothes and shoes and that led me to believe that the first was a little older than the second.  In am no expert on fashions over time.  However I then noticed the backs of the cards.



They were produced by Thomas Illingworth and Company who manufactured photographic papers until about 1930 when they were taken over by Ilford.  Between the POST and CARD there is a symbol which may represent the date of manufacture.  If this is the case the picture of Eva at the garden gate could be from 1919, 1921 or 1922.  The other remains a mystery.


A post for Sepia Saturday.  A click on the button will take you to the blog.

14 comments:

  1. Lovely photos, I think I would have liked to have button-up boots, though I think they were rather tiresome if you had no choice in the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so like Eva's puppy most of all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, so I may have been wrong about my grandmother’s wedding shoes and the bows being detachable. Eva’s shoes certainly look stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eva should have been able to click those big bow shoes together and go on a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are wonderful old photos of Eva and her nice boots and shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both pairs are quite stylish, but I prefer those big bows.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cards and love the detail in them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love vintage shoes and am most fascinated by the shoes and boots when I visit museums or see vintage clothing. They always look so uncomfortable! No Clarkes comfort soles back then!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't really tell from the image on the web, but I think the second picture looks like a younger woman than the first. I love the pets and the bows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're sure it's the same woman? The second one has a smaller posture. Either she is younger, or ill?

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look pretty comfortable, relatively speaking. I love the look of the second pair.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderfully analytical post : she appears quite some character. Fine pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The shoes with bows are quite charming.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...