Tuesday 24 April 2012

Potala Palace, Tibet


I would give a very great deal to be able to see this place in person but as it is I must be very thankful for this postcard, which arrived almost entirely unscathed through the postal service.

The magnificent building you can see is the Potala Palace built by the fifth Dalai Lama.  The White Palace was completed in 1648 and the Red Palace in 1694 but, before these, there was already a palace known as Potala, and earlier still there are legends of a sacred cave used in meditation by Emperor Songsten Gampo. The finished building has 13 storeys and is 117 metres high.

It almost goes without saying that it inscribed on UNESCO's World Heritage List.
Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. Very nice, I especially like the beautiful sky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this and didn't leave a comment why is that I don't know silly me anyway I am back and leaving one now, this is so amazing the name suites it

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful. I too would love to see all of these ancient temples.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible! I imagine there are some spectacular sights such as this in parts of India that I haven't seen...I know I'll never make it to Tibet.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...