Saturday 9 March 2013

Dover




Two views of the docks of Dover, the first one dating from 1908 and the second from 1915.  The reverse of the first card tells us:
Dover Harbour has of late years been considerably enlarged and is now of great importance.  The Admiralty Pier, at the end of which is an 80 ton gun, runs 1500 feet into the sea.  In addition to the new and old harbours there are the Granville and Wellington docks.
The Granville and Wellington docks have now been developed into a marina, the Eastern Docks are for the cross-channel traffic and the Western Docks have been developed into cruise terminals.

A post for Sepia Saturday.


Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting - I wish I had been able to visit there when I was in England.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...