Wednesday 13 April 2011

Ferrymead Park


The name Ferrymead immediately made me think of Ireland but the card came from New Zealand.  The information on the back explains all:
Curragh Cottage was built around 1865 and moved to Ferrymead in 1972.  Named after the birthplace in Ireland of its first owners the Gordon family, it now portrays a middle class Edwardian family home between 1910 and 1916.  Friends of Ferrymead dress in costume and occupy the cottage on weekends and event days along with Ferrymead's Heritage Youth pictured here boarding a Ferrymead tram.
According to the person who sent it, the restored steam trains and trams are used to ferry people around the park.

I see that one of the member societies is the Ferrymead Clydesdales Society, so presumably there is horse drawn transport as well as trains and trams.  Apparently the park was once called the Museum of Science and Industry.  I think they've probably chosen a better name to appeal to more people, but it does incorporate a fair amount of industrial history. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. I'm a little confused. If you mean it was built in Scotland and moved to NZ that was some feat. I've seen other Edwardian settings so it is interesting, just seems out of place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound odd, doesn't it? I think it must have been moved from somewhere else in New Zealand. I can't find any clear information apart from what was on the back of the card which I copied word for word.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...