Monday 12 October 2009

Fourme d'Ambert



Postmarked Lapte, Haute Loire, and dated 7 August 1976.
Auvergne
La fourme affinée dans un buron en haute montagne.
A blue-veined cheese refined in a stone built hut high in the mountains.

One of my favourite cheeses this, made almost exclusively of the milk from cows in  high pastures.  It supposedly gives it the flavour of heathers and campanula.  I can't say that I've noticed.  It is one of the very few cheeses in France which is not masculine.

The message on the back of the card is from one of the many friends and relatives who stopped by my parents' house on the way to their holidays:

Thank you enormously for having so many of us to stay, and actually getting up to help us on our way at that inhuman hour. It has been quite the best holiday for years.

2 comments:

  1. As in the language. :) There doesn't seem to be any gender-bias in the strength of the cheese.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...