Friday 19 March 2010

A Gothic rocket-ship


The memories conjured up by this card are only remotely connected with the subject matter, the Scott Monument on Princes Street, Edinburgh.  Primarily I remember a friend and myself dragging our assorted sons around in a vain attempt to instil a little "cultcha" when ranged in age between 9 and 14 years old.  We should have known better.

The Scott Monument did brighten them up a little, because you can climb up something approaching 300 steps for a view over Edinburgh.  The monument was commissioned not long after Sir Walter Scott's death in 1832 but it took until 1844 to finish.  It is built in a rock quarried nearby which oozed oil, I believe it still does.  In years gone by the pollution in the air bound to this oil and turned it black.  In 1998 it was refurbished to its original state but not before Bill Bryson had described it as a Gothic rocket-ship.  Inside the arch is a statue of Scott and his dog in white marble.

On reading the reverse of the card my memories were again prodded into action.  The card is postmarked Edinburgh, dated 7 September 1960 and addressed to the landlady of the lodgings where we were staying at the time.  We were newly arrived in an area and my parents were still house-hunting so I think we were with Mrs Dennis for a whole month. We had to endure what seemed to me the most disgusting food.  One day my father exchanged my still full bowl of grey, gluey, mushroom soup for his empty bowl.  Two days later it was on the menu again because Sheila "liked it so much".  Be sure your sins will find you out!!

This is a post for Postcard Friendship Friday hosted at The Best Hearts are Crunchy.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness ... it does look like a rocket ship! Too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila, my PFF was on time but I forgot to sign Mr. Linky at Beth's blog. So I'm making the rounds now. Happy Spring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely memories--what fun stories. I really loved this blog entry and fabulous postcard. Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila,
    What a beautiful castle! It amazes me when I see structures and architecture as magnificent...and to imagine how they were built during the time that they were, without all the modern equipment!

    Thank you for stopping by and I'm glad that you enjoyed the art that I do.

    Blessings& Aloha!
    (I am very late catching up too! Yikes! It is almost time for the next PFF!) I will be out of town, so dont know if I can post another postcard to go with my next post.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...