Tuesday 26 April 2011

Rice terraces


The Longshen rice terraces coil around the contours of the Dragon's Backbone mountain from its base to its summit.  They were first carved out in the Guangxi region of China almost 800 years ago although the last were finished much more recently.   "Where there is soil, there is a terrace".   As a whole they cover over 16,000 acres or 66 sq km., but no single patch is larger than .16 of an acre.

This card shows the harvest scene in November.
Enhanced by Zemanta

8 comments:

  1. This one reminds me of my home country,Philippines, as we also have our own Rice Terraces. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh gorgeous.
    Except for some reason, my acrophobia is kicking in and I freeze for a heartbeat, terrified I'm going to fall down.
    And then I realize it's a picture and I slap myself.

    ...it's happening each time I scroll up.

    Must be a sign of a really good quality photo.
    (And not me being a total freak, of course...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing how people can utilize small pieces of land to make a living.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so confused. I have seen rice fields in California and they are always half submerged in water, so how the same crop grow on a hillside like this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Postcard Perfect is right - it does look like our rice terraces in the Philippines. In Indonesia, they also have this style of planting rice. I think what Christine H. saw were a variety that grows in watery areas, e.g., places that are contantly flooded. We have lots of those here in Cambodia.

    Postcards Crossing

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic view! And what hard work it must be to farm those contours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful..reminds me of terraced farming in many places I've seen such as Bali and even te lovely island of Madeira!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...